Monday, January 23, 2012

Absolutely Nuts!

An attempted break and enter intruder into our home two nights in a row! What nerve!

My significant other and I were all settled in for our usual night of restless slumber. Well as least that's his routine. Myself on the other hand, well I never use to be a light sleeper. Although, at this point my beauty sleep may be at risk.

Funny thing is that first night we were both asleep when an unusual noise awaened me. Not wanting to panic, I quickly ribbed my heavy breathing companion (he insists he doesn't snore) alerting him to the fact that I'd heard something.

 "Uhhh?" came a sheepish reply.

"Something is trying to get in." I whisperd. He wasn't at all impressed at being awakened, especially with morning obviously nowhere in sight. "What are ya talking about?" he continued, a bit on the grumpy side. So as not to spook the intruder which sounded very close to my corner of the bedroom, I whispered "listen!"
Putting his feet over his side of the bed he crept around to mine. Sure enough an intruder was trying to gain entry into our apparent comfortable lodging. The scratching noise was a dead give-away.

Bang! Thump! My strong brave husband took control of the situation in a flash. He took a firm stand or should I say stomp as his bare foot came to at-tent-ion!

Silence.

I could visualize a huge rat gnawing through the wall. Oh yes, my mind spoke openly. Or a squirrel came hubby's response.

He seemed rather confident that whatever it was it was gone for now, adding that he would check into it further in the morning.

Needless to say sleep for me didn't come as quickly the second time around as it did the first. Eventually though, sleep did come.

A daylight investigation uncovered teeth marks on the vinyl siding underneath the back deck near the corner of our house just outside our bedroom and several tunnels in freshly aquired snow. The culprit is still at large.

Well, second night? Same rodent time (around midnight), same rodent channel (our bedroom). Persistent? Definitely! That is until, once again, it was  interrupted and scared off by same brave defender. Night three has already arrived and I will admit I will be listening very attentively. As the hour draws near to do our usual security check before lights out, I can't help but wonder, how persistant is this intruder?

Could this be our attempted break and enter? I took this shot a few months ago. He obviously seems interested in the temperature and it is a whole lot colder now and especially at night.



1 comment:

  1. Oh, poor wee thing, he's just looking for a nice warm bed - and he would keep your feet warm, too, I'm sure. Maybe you could open up a wild-life sanctuary as a hobby - non-edible ones, anyway. Moose and rabbits wouldn't stand a chance with all the hunters down your way.

    ReplyDelete